Creating a system of stroke care to improve outcomes
In the South West Local Health Integration Network area* 28 hospitals, the Southwestern Ontario Stroke Network, Emergency Medical Services, the South West Community Care Access Centre and specialized stroke clinics and services are working together to create a system of stroke care that will improve outcomes.
A newsletter is created and shared with out stakeholders each month providing an update on the status of Phase 1 (In-hospital) Implementation and Phase 2 (Post-Acute) of the South West Stroke Project. Newsletters may also highlight one component of stroke care or describe the story of a person with stroke or Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) within the South West LHIN. These newsletters form one arm of the project’s stakeholder engagement and communications strategy.
- updates on Phase I and Phase II activities and education
- congratulations from the South West LHIN on rehabilitation improvements
- feature story on inpatient rehabilitation
- In the news – Huron Perth opens expanded Integrated Stroke Unit
- December Newsletter – highlights education for Phases I & II, non-designated sites and Huron Perth realignment coverage
- November Newsletter – highlights the work of the Local Stroke Working Groups, the Phase II Gap Analysis events, and the journey for people with stroke and TIA at the District Stroke Centres.
- October 2016 Newsletter – highlight the new South West Stroke Project Web Pages and a husband-wife stroke survivor story
- September 2016 Newsletter – highlight on education, the Regional Stroke Centre, and a stroke survivor story
- August, 2016 – highlight on the release of the 3 new F.A.S.T. videos with local content encouraging those experiencing or witnessing the signs of stroke to call 911 rapidly.
- July, 2016 – highlight on Alexandra and Marine General Hospital Telestroke, the Southwestern Ontario Stroke Network, and a stroke survivor story
- June, 2016 – highlight on evaluation and Secondary Stroke Prevention
- May, 2016 – highlight on Phase 2 process mapping and EMS
There are three videos – one for each of Grey-Bruce, Huron-Perth, and Thames Valley. Please feel free to use these videos to increase the awareness to act F.A.S.T.
View the F.A.S.T. Videos
*The South West LHIN serves Grey, Bruce, Huron, Perth, Middlesex, Oxford, Elgin and Norfolk (West)